It’s 2022. The war on talent is still on! Forget about the money. The new generation of employees seeks more than that. They want to work for a company they truly believe in. A company that shares the same beliefs and values as they do. A company that makes them feel like they are part of something bigger – like a family. Having a strong and positive company culture is more important than ever before. But how do you create such a strong group feeling within your own organization? Let’s find out!
What is company culture?
First things first: what exactly is company culture? Is it your company’s vision and mission statement? Is it your balance sheets? Or your employee handbook? No. It’s more than that! Your company culture does not merely exist on paper. It is reflected in the things you do, the things you say, how you behave, the way you treat your team, your products/service, your customers, and – of course – yourself.
Why is company culture so important?
Simple: a strong and positive company culture is the backbone of a happy team, and a happy team = a successful company! 😉 Here’s how it works: happy team members will perform better – they are more productive, more creative, and more motivated to go the extra mile for your company. Employees who feel happy and valued at work also tend to be more loyal and find more pleasure and satisfaction in their job. And that’s not all… They will also spread the word and the love! This means they can bring in new, motivated talents like them. So, you can grow your dream team in no time!
How to build a strong & positive culture in your company?
Now, the good stuff! Our tips & tricks on how to build your own company culture:
- Define common values and live them: If your company is, for example, extremely passionate about creating a greener world. Then you can reward your team for coming to work by bike. Or if one of your organization’s values is to build stronger communities. Then why not give your team a week per year of paid time off to help out their local communities? Defining your values is simply the tip of the iceberg. You really need to focus on living them every day. Curious to find out what the core values of MobieTrain are? Click here!
- Create common goals: as stated before, people need more than a paycheck to drive them nowadays. Make sure you’re working towards a clear goal as a team. These can be weekly, monthly, or yearly goals. For example: win X many more clients this year, sell X many products by the end of the week, expand the business to countries Y and Z within the next 5 years, double the positive client reviews in one month, …
- Focus on positivity: If you reach your goals as a team, it’s super important to celebrate that success by taking your team out to dinner or treating them to drinks, for example. Focusing on positivity also means expressing your gratitude from time to time. This can either be with words or with an occasional small gift: around the holidays, right before the summer break, around Easter and Saint Nicolas, …
- Organize cool team-building events – like a field trip to a theme park or a short trip abroad – and other fun opportunities for bonding, such as: an after-work drink, a game night, a quiz, exchanging secret Santa gifts during the holidays, you name it! If you want to fuel the sense of unity all the way through, make sure you also have matching outfits during the team building, like a branded hoodie in your company
- Arrange original team meals: Food is the foundation of many cultures. That’s no different from your company culture. A shared meal binds people together. Food unites us! For sure you can order a pizza together but why not try something different for a change? Like everyone bringing a homemade snack for an outdoor picnic
- Install flexible working hours: “Working 9 to 5”, as Dolly Parton would say, is quickly becoming obsolete. The standard 9-to-5 workweek is now up for change. Having flexible hours allows your team to manage a healthy work-life balance. For example, if they have a doctor’s appointment or need to pick up their kids from school – no problem. They can start a little earlier in the morning to be there on time in the afternoon.
- Empower people with knowledge: Have you ever heard of lifelong learning? It means that you should never stop learning new skills. You need to invest in your team’s personal growth, and the perfect way to do so is by using MobieTrain’s mobile microlearning platform! It allows people to consume knowledge in a fun, engaging and bite-sized way. All it takes is 5 minutes a day! You can do it whenever and wherever you want on your smartphone, pc, or tablet.
- Focus on employee wellness & wellbeing: Help your team to be fit and healthy – physically, emotionally, and mentally. You can, for instance, offer healthy snacks at the office, provide ergonomic desks, start a sports club at work (to go running or cycling together after hours), … Hosting workshops around mindfulness, stress management and breathing techniques can also be helpful. But it doesn’t always have to be these great gestures – start with the little things: don’t plan meetings during lunch, don’t call your team after hours, and don’t disturb them during their holidays.
Remember: Your team is your highest good. Investing in your employees is the smartest business decision you can make. No matter what your balance sheet says, continued investment in your team will always pay off. Treat them well and great success for your company will follow. That’s the key!